Frequently Asked Questions
What are the levels by Caltrans that restrict driving in the snow?
- Requirement 1 (R1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
- Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
- Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.
It’s not snowing. Do you still deliver chains?
If you are located within our area of service, we will deliver our products to you.
How do I locate my tire size?
Your tire size is located on the sidewall of your tires. There are three sets of numbers.
Do I have to buy tensioners?
You do not have to purchase tensioners, but it is HIGHLY recommended that you do for safety reasons. Our installers will not install your chains without them.
Do I need chains if I have an All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicle?
Yes. You also need chains on all 4 tires, so as to not mess up the traction control computer. Please consult your manufacturers vehicle manual.
I already have chains or cables. Will you install them?
If you already have chains or cables and just need us to install them, we do provide that service as well. Simply inform your dispatcher.
Do you offer military and law enforcement discounts?
If you are active or retired military or law enforcement, we offer our services at a discounted rate. You must have your identification present to show our installers.
Pricing for Services
Pricing varies by vehicle, tire size and type of traction devices needed. We offer the following:
- Cable chains with tensioners
- Link chains with tensioners
- Link chains with custom fitting
- AutoSocks for low profile vehicles
We charge for the following:
- Tractions Products
We provide services for vehicles from Smart Cars all the way up to Big Rigs and Graders.